Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, holiday or just because, there will be a time in a man’s life when he wants to buy his wife jewelry as a surprise gift. Unfortunately, even with the best intentions, it’s all too easy to make one of these common jewelry buying mistakes.
- Not knowing what she likes. This one is first because it’s the worst mistake you can make. It’s actually surprisingly easy to figure out what she might like, if you don’t already know. For instance, if your wife is a sports fan she’ll love jewelry featuring her favorite team. However, you still need to figure out if she likes big, flashy jewelry or smaller, more delicate pieces. To do this, check out what she likes to wear already or take a quick peek in her jewelry box. That should give you a good idea of the types of pieces she enjoys.
- Choosing something inappropriate. This is basically an extension of not knowing what she likes. For instance, if she’s vegan, you might not want to get her a leather cuff. Or even worse, you think she’s an Alabama fan and she’s actually an Auburn fan. In that case, getting her a pair of Alabama earrings will probably earn you a week on the couch.
- Assuming a high price tag equals high quality. Just because a piece is expensive, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a better choice. There is plenty of high-quality jewelry available that is actually quite budget-friendly.
- Choosing the wrong metal. While it’s true that quality jewelry can be purchased on a budget, it’s a good idea to make sure the jewelry you buy is made from quality metals and materials. You don’t want something that’s going to turn your wife’s finger green, after all. Sterling silver and 14 karat gold are always good choices. Some budget choices come with a gold or silver “finish.” This means the piece, often made of brass, is plated with gold or silver.
- Not buying from a reputable dealer. No matter if you’re buying an expensive piece or a budget one, you’ll want to make sure you’re buying from a reputable dealer. Whether you’re shopping online or off, look for a store with a good track record and satisfied customers. If you’re shopping online, look for trust seals such as “Google Trusted Store” or seals from the Better Business Bureau. This can help ensure you’re dealing with a business that’s on the up and up.
Avoid these common mistakes and you’re sure to give her jewelry she’ll love for years to come.